Amy Sheffer brings you the magic and mystery of Van Gogh this morning. Check out this video that tells a little bit more about his life and his work.
Amy says, "Vincent van Gogh wrote about the technical challenge of depicting a night sky: "It often seems to me that the night is even more richly colored than the day, colored with the most intense violets, blues and greens.... It's clear to me to paint a starry sky it's not nearly enough to put white spots on blue-black." In this tutorial, we'll apply a range of colors to create a rich and variegated night sky background. We'll begin with ink blending, follow with watercoloring, and finish with acrylic paint. I'll also show you how to create tree silhouettes along a horizon line for an easy way to complete a night scene."
- STAMPS: Inspired: Faith
- DIES: Inspired: Faith
- INK: Enchanted Evening, Aqua Mist, Mint Julep, Winter Wisteria, Pale Peony ink pads; Enchanted Evening re-inker (optional); True Black re-inker
- PAPER: watercolor paper; Soft Stone and Stamper's Select White card stock
- OTHER: ink blending tool and foam; watercolor brush, round #6 (or whatever you have on hand); white acrylic paint; metallic silver watercolor paint (optional); make-up wedge or small (1") foam brush; clear sequins, assorted sizes; silver star sequins; white thread; clear Wink of Stella pen (optional); fun foam or foam tape
- 1 top-fold white A2 card base (4 1/4" wide by 5 1/2" tall)
- 1 watercolor panel, 4" wide by 5 1/4" tall
- 3 Soft Stone Inspired: Faith die-cuts, stacked
- 1 length of white thread, approximately 18-24"
MASTER TIPS FROM AMY:
- Use an ice cube tray to hold water when watercoloring. That way you'll always have clean water handy.
- When adhering the dots to the i's and j's of your word die-cuts, lay the die-cut negative back over the die-cut so that you can see exactly where the dots should be adhered.
- Label your reinker lids with hole-punched circles of the coordinating card stock for quick and easy identification.
- Mount watercolored panels onto card bases with a layer of foam, such as foam adhesive strips or a panel of fun foam. This helps to both flatten and disguise any warping of the watercolor panel.
--Now it's your turn! Create a starry night sky background for a project. You can choose to re-create the exact project from Amy above or design your own using the same concepts. Your project must also incorporate at least one Papertrey product.
--Post your project on your blog, in your gallery or on any other photo-hosting site (such as photobucket or flickr).
--Add your project to the InLinkz list below.
--You will have until 7am ET, Tuesday, July 26th, to add your link to the list to be eligible to win. One project per person please.
--As a reminder, you will have until 7am ET, Tuesday, July 26th, to add your link to the list to be eligible to win.
--TWO randomly selected winners will be chosen from ALL the entries within this list on Tuesday, July 26th. The winners will be posted on our Tuesday night Stamp-a-faire winners page after 9pm ET. The randomly selected winners will each get a $25 PTI gift certificate to spend however they like!
Thanks for joining us! We look forward to seeing your projects!